Sometimes it is so frustrating – I mean we know Jesus said that true worship is a matter of where the heart is, that it is about spirit and not form right? In John 4:23-24, in response to the question about the best location for a true church to worship, Jesus says = “the time is coming and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth – they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.” So why do we get sucked in to so many emotional battles over structure and style? I love what Pastor Ron Edmondson wrote on this subject – simple and to the point. (you can see it on his blog here) I have posted it below. What do you think?
10 SIGNS YOU REALLY DON’T GET WORSHIP: IF ….
1. The volume or tempo of the music determines whether you think it’s a worship song.
2. A slight change in the order of the service makes you think they’ve harmed “worship”.
3. You think raising hands or not raising hands determines the depth of a person’s worship.
4. You believe the “proper” length of a “worship” service is dictated by your lunch schedule.
5. You think worship has to be in a service or part of a programmed event.
6. Certain instruments keep you from thinking worship is possible.
7. You think worship is confined to a certain place or a certain time.
8. The clothes you wear determines the quality of worship…for you AND others.
9. You think worship always involves music.
10. Your attempt to worship has more to do with a personal preference than the subject of worship.